Thanksgiving dinner is canceled this year. One year, a co-worker from Pakistan dined with us. Another time, a couple from China shared our meal. This year’s different. Our family’s cleaning up after a flood. No time to clean, shop, cook and entertain for the holiday. It is what it is. We’re thankful anyways. Afterwards, we’ll eat pumpkin pie and drink wine. Cheers!
Twenty Things I’m Thankful For!
1) Pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top of it. Holiday calories don’t count, right?
2) My health. This body works well, day in and day out. All four limbs work. Never should I complain after seeing others less fortunate in Haiti.
3) Tim Horton’s pumpkin spice muffins. A special fall treat.
4) My parents. Ages 90 and 94. I’m fortunate to have a chance now to help them out. It’ll never even out, I know!
5) Dogs. How I lived the first 38 years of my life without one, I’ll never know. It’ll never happen again. My first dog bit a dozen people and I still loved dear Oscar! Quarantined twice!
6) My husband, Guy. He loves me no matter how crazy my ideas are. Still a big fan of me after 33 years of marriage. And vice versa!
7) Freshly picked fall apples made into apple crisp.
8) My two daughters, Monique and Giselle. In my obstetrics nursing job, I see many couples suffer losses. Let me always be thankful for my girls. And encourage them forever.
9) Coffee. I could not work the midnight shift for 27 years so far without it. Jamaican Me Crazy is the best!
10) My job as a Maternal/Newborn nurse. I’m privy to see a couple at the most precious moment of their life when they’re handed their newborn. Or at their saddest. When things turn out otherwise, I’m in awe of their strength . I try to be a pillar of strength for them too.
11) Wine. There are no words.
12) A roof over my head. I see homeless people and people living in poor living conditions, with bed bugs, drug dealings, for instance. Let me be thankful for what I have, not long for what others have.
13) Monarch butterflies. They’re hanging out in the garden now before their long trip to Mexico.
14) Gardening. The miracle of planting a seed and having faith in what will happen next.
15) Sunflowers. In every shape and colour and size. They make me smile.
16) Birds. Especially my four budgies with their songs and words and antics.
17) Sunshine. I crave it and try to bank it during the summer months.
18) The Great Gardener in the sky who makes it all possible. ” And God looked at all that He had made, and He saw that it was good!”
19) Flowers. I find flowers in alleys as well as manicured gardens. Seek and you will find!
20) Love. “Three things will last forever–faith, hope, and love–and the greatest of these is love.”
What are you thankful for ? Feel free to post!